||Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project
Adam FERGUSSON, Minister of Logierait
' He was born of poor but honest religious parents, at the
Bridge- end of Gernoch, near Faskelie, in the parish of Moulin, in Athol, upon
the 4th day of August 1672 ; being the third child of Laurence Fergusson and
Janet Fergusson . . . . In a year or two after his birth, his parents being,
through a dearth then prevailing, unable to pay their rent, did remove to
Moulin, where his father's predecessors lived for several generations,
practising the smith trade, in very good reputation ; the first of whom was
called John, son of Fergusson of Drumachoir, who was at the battle of Pinkie,
and relieved Stuart of Balnakielie from five Englishmen that were assaulting
him, and gave occasion for great friendship between their posterity.'
[The Edinburgh Review By Charles S. Forbes, 1867, Vol CXXV,
- Adam FERGUSSON (1672-1754), minister of Logierait, married, in
1705, Mary GORDON of Hallhead, and had issue -
- Mary b. 1706. She married Duncan STEWART in 1726.
- Charles b. 1708; d. 1743, at Port Royal, Jamaica.
- Anna b.; d. 1710.
- Alexander b. 1711; left two daughters, who lived at
- John b. 1713; d. 1724.
- Janet b. 1715; married Thos. WILKIE
g-grand-daughter married S.R. FERGUSSON of Middlehaugh
- Patrick b. 1717, d. 1747, at Port Royal, Jamaica.
- Robert, 1719-1797, resident in America, and latterly at Perth,
left a son.
- Robert FERGUSON ('Bob') who d. in 1830 having had three
- Robert FERGUSON, M.D. b. 1799, d. in 1865, married,
first Cecilia LABALMONDIÈRE, by whom he had no issue, who d. in 1842;
and second, Mary MACLEOD who d. in 1884. Their children:
- Mary Roma b. Sep Qtr 1847 St Geo Han Sq. Married
Col. Henry C. B. Farrant, Loyal North Lnacashire (81st) Regiment and has
- Robert Norman Ronald FERGUSON 24 Oct 1848, Park St.
Grosvenor-square, London [Daily News]; m. Rose Geraldine
CUMBERBATCH and has issue:
- Ronald Torquil, age 8 in 1891 census
found in 1901 census or in the death index 1891-1901, England
- Roma, age 5 in 1891 census
- Rachel, age 8 in 1901 census
- Marion Cecil b. Dec Qtr 1849 St Geo Han Sq,
unmarried (1895); a sculptor.
- Harold Stuart FERGUSON b. 10 Feb 1851, Park St.
Grosvenor-square, London [Daily News];
5 Jan 1921; m. Isabel Julia MAXWELL and has issue (LDS Ancestral File):
- Robert Hamilton FERGUSON b. 1888, Travancore,
- Michael FERGUSON
- >> Kit 31280
- Stuart Frederick Maxwell FERGUSON, b. 14 Aug
1889, Travancore, India, d. 26 Nov 1975 Surrey, England; m. Mharie M. PARRY Oct
16 1935 at St. Ethelburga's, Bishopgate
[Resides Broadmead Copse, Christmas
Pie, Wanborough, Surrey, England in 1938; also Mharie Margaret FERGUSON -
- Step daughter Mhari Elisabeth Forbes PARRY,
informant on death certificate.
[She advises that her step father had no
children 28 Feb 2005
- Adam FERGUSON b. 1891, Travancore, India
- Robert Henry Bruce b. 1854 unmarried (1895)
- Mary Anne, married first Mr. EDGE, and second Rev.
Alex. N. C. DALLAS leaving issue by both marriages.
- Catherine, married James CARY, D.D., son of the
translator of Dante, and left issue.
- Adam Ferguson, 1723-1816. Professor of Moral Philosophy in the
University of Edinburgh, married in 1766 Katy (Catherine) BURNET of
Aberdeenshire, who d. 1795, and had issue-
- Sir Adam Ferguson, b. 1770; d. 1854, Depute-Keeper of the
Regalia of Scotland, married Margaret STUART and left no issue.
- Joseph, d. in 1799 unmarried.
- Col. James FERGUSON, d. in 1859 unmarried.
- Admiral John FERGUSON, R.N., b. 1784; d. 1855, married
Elizabeth Lauder GUILD who d. in 1894. They had one son.
- Captain Adam FERGUSON (42nd Royal Highlanders, the
Black Watch) b. 1836, and d. unmarried 1865.
- Margaret, d. unmarried.
- Isabel, d. unmarried, 24th Dec. 1830
- Mary, d. unmarried, January 1829.
Rev. John Ferguson
The grandfather of Rev. Mr. Ferguson was a native of the Highlands
of Scotland. He belonged to the Scotch Greys - an was under the Duke of
Marlborough in all his wars. He was a brother to Rev . - Ferguson, minister of
Logierat, in Perthshire who was the father of Doct. Adam Ferguson, the
historian, and predecessor to Dugal Stewart in the chair of Philosophy, at
Edinburgh. He died in 1742. Mr. F. above is the only male representative of his
family excepting his own children.
[A Centurial History of the Mendon
Association of Congregational Ministers, by Mortimer Blake, 1853]
See also: Genealogy of the descendents of John Ferguson compiled by
Arthur B. Ferguson, 1911
- Laurence Fergusson and Janet Fergusson
- Peter b.~1670, Perthshire; m. Isabel
- John b. 18 July 1736, Duns, Berwickshire; d. 20 Nov 1820;
- John FERGUSON
b. or c. 28/12/1788, Duns, Berwickshire; m. 1st Mary V. HAMMETT; m. 2d Margaret
Snow EDDY; ordained East Atteboro 1822
- Adam m. Mercy Hix 10 Jun 1776, Newport, RI
- Adam (1672-1754), minister of Logierait
Henry Hugh Ferguson
- Married Elizabeth
GRAEME Apr 21, 1772
- Said to be a relative of Professor Adam Ferguson
- Records of the Clan and Name of Fergusson,
Ferguson and Fergus, by James Ferguson and Robert Menzies Fergusson,
- Supplement to above published in 1899.
- Daily News Lookups courtesy Andy
- GD1/398/40 Instrument of sasine in favour of Mr. Adam Fergusone,
minister at Logireat, and Mary Gordan, his spouse, and the survivor in liferent
and conjunct fee of the town and lands of Ballinluig of Dunfallandy in the
parish of Logireat, shire of Perth, under reversion. Recorded P.R.S. Perth, 22
August 1729 11 Jul 1729
[ Home ] [
Ancestral ] [ Genealogy ] [ Scotland
] [ Athole ]
Copyright © 2006 Fergus(s)on Y-DNA