||Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project
- logistical support of the Ferguson DNA
- a forum for anyone who wishes to share or discuss DNA data
with other genealogists researching the FERGUSON name (and variants).
- Quick Instructions
- To subscribe
- send an e-mail message to:
- In the body include only one word: subscribe
- Turn OFF your signature file when sending this
- To unsubscribe,
- send an e-mail message to:
- In the body include only one word: unsubscribe
- Turn OFF your signature file when sending this command
- To post messages to everyone on the list, address your message to:
- To view the archives, use this link:
- Formatting messages
- Trim or delete Auto Quotations
in replying to a message it is very common on mail
lists that persons respond quoting a entire message. Then somebody responds to
that and the original message gets quoted again as does the first reply. This
makes messages difficult to read, reduces the efficiency of search engines and
wastes server space. Please trim whatever you quote to include only the
relevant part. FYI, many email programs have an option you can set that allows
you turn off the feature that auto quotes everything in the original message to
which you are replying.
- Guidelines aka Net Etiquette
- Post only messages which deal with the list's stated
- Leave out vital information concerning the living.
- Refer to other persons by kit number and ancestor rather than
- Be kind and help newbies
- Don't type your message in all capital letters - they're hard
to read. This is known as SHOUTING and may provoke flaming. Also, all
lower-case letters can be hard to read.
- Use descriptive subject lines as these help persons browsing
- Do not quote the entire digest in a reply
- Do not pass along warnings about Internet viruses or any other
threat without first checking with the Latest Email Hoaxes or
Corporation Virus Hoaxes page. This is a common trap for Internet
beginners. Try to be the smart one who knows how to end the hoax instead of
- Use the same courtesy as you would extend to someone you were
having a phone conversation with but realize that no one can hear your tone of
voice. Use Emoticons and Abbreviations to express yourself.
- Wait overnight to send emotional responses to messages. If you
have a really strong difference of opinion take your argument off list and
settle your differences via private messages.
- Avoid signature lines which contain a surname list. They
result in frustration for persons searching the archives since every message
will be returned as a surname match irrespective of the subject.
- Avoid sending messages which are no more than gratuitous
replies to replies. Thank them privately.
- Have fun!
- Problem Domains
These hosts are incapable of reliable receipt of messages
from our mail list. If you use one of these hosts for your email you will need
to create a free email account such as gmail or yahoo and subscribe using that
[ Home ] [
Participants ] [
Ancestral ] [ Haplogroups ]
Copyright © 2008 Fergus(s)on Y-DNA