||Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project
"The Kilkerran Fergussons first appear on record in the 15th
century. John Fergusson of Kilkerran, recorded in 1464, was probably the son of
Duncan, son of Colin, dominus de Kylkerane, on record in 1439. They may have
descended from a John, son of Fergus who was one of the witnesses to a charter
by Edward Bruce signed at Turnberry shortly after Bannockburn."
Fergussons of Kilkerran
Ref: History of the County of
Ayr by James Paterson, 1847. The names in red define the pedigree of Sir
James Fergusson, 4th Baronet, who is the most recent common ancestor of
participants of this line who have DNA tested.
- II. John Fergusson of Kilkerran
resigns a part of his estate in 1466 to
- III. Fergus Fergusson, his son, and
Janet Kennedy, his spouse.
- IV. Duncan Fergusson of Kilkerran.
During the lifetime of his father he had the "place of Barnefute."
- V. Barnard Fergusson of Kilkerran . In
1564 he, along with his brothers Thomas and David, and fifty-one others, were
delatit for invading the Laird of Camlarg in a fenced Court of the Sherifi' of
Ayr. He married Jonet Ritchie, by whom he had a son
- VI. Symon Fergusson of Kilkerran, who
seems to have succeeded to the property before the death of his father, whom he
also predeceased. He married Cristiane Forester, and had issue John, his
successor, and another child. He died in 1591 and was succeeded by his son,
- VII. Mr. Johnne Fergusson of
Kilkerran, so styled in the testament of John Davidsoun of Penny glen,
near Maybole, in 1614. He is mentioned in the same way in similar documents in
1616, 1618, and 1621. He was succeeded by his son,
- VIII. Sir John Fergusson of Kilkerran,
who heartily espoused the cause of Charles I. in the Civil Wars. He married
Helen Kennedy, daughter of Sir Thomas Kennedy of Culzean, and by her had four
sons - Alexander and James and John, both Captains in the King's service during
the Civil Wars, and Simon of Auchinwin. He was
- IX. Alexander Fergusson of Kilkerran, who was retoured as heir of
his father, John Fergusson of Kilkerran, Militis, in 1650, then alive. He
married Margaret Sydserf, daughter of the first Bishop of Galloway, who was
afterwards Bishop of Edinburgh. He had two sons - Alexander, who succeeded, and
James, a clergyman in England. [James is mentioned in a
- X. Alexander Fergusson of Kilkerran, his son and successor, married
Katherine, daughter of Sir William Weir of Stanebyres, and had three sons : - '
- 1. John, of Barclanachan (and Underwood), who married Margaret,
daughter of David Craufurd of Kerse, but died without male issue. He left a
daughter by a second marriage (with Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of Wm.
Boswell of Knockroon).- He had two sons, Adam and William, born respectively in
1693 and 1696, who seem to have died young.
- 2. William, married Agnes, eldest daughter and heir-portioner
of John Kennedy of Auchinblain, a grandson of Kennedy of Knockdon.
- 3. Captain Alexander, died at Darien. In 1700 Alexander, and
John his son, sold the estate of Kilkerran to
- XL Sir John Fergusson, son of Simon of
Auchinwin married Jean, daughter of James Whitefoord of Dinduft, and was
succeeded, at his decease in 1729, by his eldest son,
- XH. Sir James Fergusson of Kilkerran
who married Jean, only child of James, Lord Maitland by whom he had nine sons
and five daughters. Of the former four attained maturity, viz. : -
- 1. Adam, who succeeded.
- 2. Charles, who married Anne,
daughter of John Fordyce, Esq. of Alton, and was father of James, who succeeded
as 4th Baronet.
- 3. James, who died upon his estates in the island of Tobago.
- 4. George, Lord of Session and Justiciary, under the title of
Lord Hermand; died 1827.
- XHI. Sir Adam Fergusson of Kilkerran died 23rd Sept. 1813, aged 81,
without issue and the title then devolved upon his nephew,
Sir James Fergusson.
The yDNA Descendancy of James FERGUSSON, 4th Baronet
- James FERGUSSON, b. 20 Oct 1765, Kilkerran; d. 14 Apr 1838
1st Jean DALRYMPLE
m. 2d Henrietta DUNCAN 5 Dec 1804
- Charles b. 26 Aug 1800, Kilkerran; d. 8 Mar 1849 Inveresk m.
- James b. 18 Mar 1832 Kilkerran, Dailly, Ayreshire; d. 14
Jan 1907, Jamaica m. 1st Edith Christina Christian RAMSAY
- Charles b. 17 Jan 1865 Kilkerran; d. Feb 20, 1951; m.
Alice Mary Lady BOYLE
- Simon Charles David b. 5 Jun 1907; d. 1982
- Father of Kit 47598
- Kit 47598
- Henry Duncan b. 30 Sep 1816 in Edinburgh; d. 22 Oct 1866, m.
Anna NASMYTH 16 Jun 1846
- Robert Henry Duncan b. 17 Dec 1849; d. 1904 ;m. Mabel
- Robert Arthur b. 9 Aug 1878
- Father of Kit 68719
- Kit 68719
- Records of the Clan and Name of, Ferguson and Fergus, by James
Ferguson and Robert Menzies, Edinburgh, 1895
- The Fergussons: Their Lowland and Highland
Branches by Sir James Fergusson of Kilkerran, Johnston & Bacon:
- Heraldry image from
General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the ... by
[ Home ] [
Ancestral ] [
Genealogy ] [ Scotland ]
Copyright © 2006 Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project