||Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project
The family is an offshoot of Dunfallandy and the tradition is
that it is descended from Adam Fergusson of
In the direct line of the house of Dunfallandy there is no Adam
legally vouched for since the Adam who lived tempore
King Robert I., but it is uniformly asserted by tradition that the founder of
the fortunes of the name in Strath Tummel was an Adam, and that he gave his
name to the Macadi (or sons of Adam) Fergussons.
- Fergus FERGUSSON, who resided at Little Lude, married in 1739
Elspeth KENNEDY, and had issue (baptisms Blair Atholl & Strowan per
- John b. 1740, m. Janet MACLAUCHLAN (Easter Monzie) 25 Nov 1767,
Blair Atholl & Strowan, and had issue:
Per Records of the Clan....
- Fergus b. 16 Jun 1768
- Alexander b. 12 Apr 1771
- John b. 9 Feb 1773
- May (Marjory) b. 17 Jan 1775
- Patrick b. 24 Oct 1778 (also 24 Apr 1778)
- Margaret b. 15 Sep 1783
- Janet b. 1742, c. 4 Sep 1743 married Donald ROBERTSON
- Her second daughter, Margaret (OPR: b. 8 January 1779)
married in 1801, Alex. FERGUSSON described in the register 'of Dunfallandy' and
went to America. [ OPR: Margaret Robertson m. Alexander Ferguson 21 November
1803 Blair Atholl, Perth ]
- Possible daughter: Sept 28 Isabella, Daughter of
Alexander Ferguson, & Margaret Robertson, his Wife, born Aug 29 1804. [
Baptisms of the First Presbyterian Church, N. Y. City 1804-1809 ]
- Donald b. 10 Jun 1745, c. 26 Jun 1746 married 21 Dec 1778 Ann
J. BISSET, Dunkfeld.
- Marjory b. 30 Oct 1780, m. 1801 Alex STEWART.
- James b. 28 Feb 1782; d. Mar 9 1866; m. 3 Feb 1814
- Donald b. 26 Jun 1785; d. 9 Mar 1860, 1841 census resided
at Shierglass; m. Isobel ROBERTSON (Struan) 16 Jun 1813
- James b. 1814; d. 1831
- John b. 2 Oct 1815. Settled in Norfolk c. 1850 and
occupied Brettenham Manor circa 1870. He married Julia Anna FISHER 1851
- Katherine b. 1855, d. 1860
- Fergus b. 1857; m. 1882 Katharine H. HILL; Fergus
went to South Africa and founded the family brokerage firm, Fergusson Co with
his brother James in 1895.
- John Fergus b. 1883; John (known as Jack)
joined the family firm and became a member of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
in 1910. He was elected Chairman of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in 1929 and
- >> Kit 128634
- Marjory Elizabeth b. 1885.
- Dorothy Maud b. 1887.
- Julia b. 1859; m. 1883 Hy. A. LE CREN
- James b. 1861; m. Constance LELY
- Eirene Laetitia
- Cecily Constance
- Kenneth Mounteney James d. Jul 1917,
- Donald b. 1862; d. 1882.
- Isobel b. 1864, Wroxham, Norfolk
- John b. 1866, Wroxham, Norfolk
- Margaret b. 1868, Thetford, Norfolk; m. Charles
WEBB 1887; d. 1896.
- Robert b. 1870 Brettenham; m. Constance READ .
- John Read b. 1895
- Robert Arthur b. 1897, d. 14 Apr 1917,
- Margaret Grevilly b. 1899
- Isobel Cornelia? b. 1901?
- David b. 1872, Brettenham.; m. Marion
- Joan N. M. b. 1899 in Surrey3
- Audrey O.A. b. 1901 in Ealing 3
- Malcolm b. 1874; m. Olive Grace HILL3,
Holy Trinity Church, Brompton; moved to South Africa.
- Sholto b. 1876, Brettenham
arrives San Francisco California Sep. 1922 aboard the Tahiti from Wellington, New Zealand2
- David, died in infancy.
- Robert b. 1822; resides at Bath
m. first Ann CARTER
m. second Mary Parke NELSON
- David b. 1824,
colonel U.S. Army,
served in civil war; m. Emily WALSH Jun 1 1857, Benicia, California; d. 9 Jul
1918, Los Angeles; bur: Oak Hill Cemetery
[David Le Cren has written a book regarding this side of the
Fergusson family and is the source of the data below]
- Arthur Walsh b. 4 Dec 1859, Benicia, California; m.
Mary Stanton WILLIAMS (1866 - 1922); d. Jan 30 1908, Phillipines;
bur: Mar 24, 1908, Oak Hill Cemetery
- Arthur Robertson, b. Mar 25 1888, Washington
DC; d. Mar. 13, 1925 Chicago, IL; bur: Oak
Hill Cemetery Washington DC; m. Eleanor PICKERING
[Resides Manhattan, NY
in 1920 with wife and 2 daughters
- Eleanor Isabel ('Burr') b. 3 Oct 1861, San
Francisco m. Wm. NEWBOLD
- Flora Maria Lois b. 22 Oct 1866, Tepic, Mexio; d.
26 May 1886
- Francisca Beatriz Genoveva ('Quica') b. 10 Aug
1868, Tepic, Mexio; m. Edwin ('Ned') Hall WARNER
- Walter Harold b. 15 Feb 1870, Tepic, Mexio; m.
Eugenie WARD, 7 Jun 1905, Washington D.C., 1920 resides Sonoma County, CA; d.
Apr. 7, 1925; bur: Oak Hill Cemetery Washington DC
- Rupert Donald b. 22 Aug 1872, Mexico City; said to
be living at Riverside, CA in 1909 [Ancestry.com has him Seattle, Washington
City Directories, 1888-90; New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957; Australian
Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936; 1900 resident Coconino, AZ ]; d. Jul. 7, 1918; bur:
Oak Hill Cemetery Washington
[Ryerson Index: FERGUSSON Rupert Donald
Death notice 03 MAR 1983 Death 89 late of Matraville Sydney Morning Herald 04
- Emilia Ynez ('Emelia') b. 14 Feb 1875; m. Frank
Vining Fyfe BODWELL 18 Dec 1899 and lived in Vancouver, Canada
- Ernest Vining BODWELL b 5 Oct 1900
- Francis Kenneth BODWELL b. Nov 1903
- Donald went to Australia
- William McInroy went to Australia where he died at
Camperdowne, Victoria 29 Jul 1888
- David b. 6 Apr 1790 m. Janet MITCHELL
- Janette m. 1st, Capt. J.
HAMILTON; m. 2nd D. ILETT.
- Katherine m. D. SNELL.
- Eliza m. Wm. ESCOMBE.
- John b. 6 Mar 1793
- Elspeth c. 28 Jan 1749
- Alexander c. 5 May 1751
- Grissell c. 3 Mar 1753
- Marjory c. 20 Mar 1756
- Fergus c. 28 Jun 1760
- Records of the Clan and Name of Fergusson,
Ferguson and Fergus Supplement, by James Ferguson and Robert Menzies
Fergusson, Edinburgh, 1899, p. 105
- San Francisco Passenger Lists
- 1871, 1891 and 1901 Census of England
- 1920 US Federal Census
- Jennifer Giles
- Bryant M. Taking Stock. Johannesburg Stock
Exchange, the first 100 years. Johannesburg, Jonathan Ball Publishers,
- Le Cren, David. The Forbears of David Le Cren,
Family Histories of some Fergussons, Hunts, Le Crens, Newbolds and other
families, self published, 2004.
- Finding Your Ancestors in Borenich
[ Home ] [
Ancestral ] [ Genealogy ] [ Scotland
] [ Athole ]
Copyright © 2006 Fergus(s)on Y-DNA Project